Monday, August 11, 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to this new space where I will be able to share some thoughts and knowledge on Belly Dance! I'm excited about this new venture and hope that those who stop by will find something useful or something that makes them see or think about the world of dance in a new way.

For those who don't know me...
I started dancing in 1990 and currently teach 5 classes a week at two different school as well as offer workshops on a variety of topics. Stop by my web page (www.halleyah.com) for more information on my teaching and current performances.

In addition to teaching I have been researching the history of belly dance since 1990. I own a fairly extensive library on Persian dance images from the Medieval period and have a good variety of literature on other styles of dance from that period as well as more recent history from the Victorian Era and early Twentieth Century information in the United States. This is a continuing area of study for me and I'm always searching out the new source on the history of this elusive dance form!

I use this research to create performances from the different periods that I study as well as to enhance my more modern fusions with Tribal Style belly dance. Currently, I'm looking at more theatrical uses of belly dance and use of dance in ritual and ceremony.

I'm looking forward to sharing some of this information with others and hearing what others think about what I share.

No comments: